Many Perkins Braillers that have stopped working only need to be cleaned and oiled to function properly again. These videos provide a step by step guide to the basic maintenance which may be required every few years. Please do not attempt to do more complex repairs, unless you are certified by Perkins. Our braillers are made up of over 700 pieces and require in-depth knowledge of to properly repair. For repair options, please visit our Service & Repair Section.
Things You’ll Need:
- One Screwdriver, #1 Phillips, 3" Shank Length
- One Screwdriver, #2 Phillips, 8" Shank Length
- One Paint Brush, Chip, 1” Brush Head
- One Wire Brush, 1” Brush Head
- Two Acid Brushes, ⅜” Brush Head
- One Lint-Free Cloth
- One Small Cup
- One Cleaning Pan, 17” L X 10” W X 6” H
- One Compartmentalized Tray
- One 1.75 oz Tube of Lubriplate Grease
- One 2 oz Bottle of Brailler Oil
- Cleaning Solvent, (neutral, petroleum-based mineral spirits, or equal)
- We recommend that you follow along with our printed guide
- Guide also available in Arabic, Hindi, and Simplified Chinese
Don’t have everything you need? Check out your options.
- Level 1 - General Maintenance - All Braillers - Starter Kit is a kit of everything you need in one place
- Level 1 - General Maintenance - All Braillers - Refill Kit is a kit of the most commonly purchased items
- Level 1 General Maintenance Guide
- Level 1 General Maintenance Guide - Arabic
- Level 1 General Maintenance Guide - Hindi
- Level 1 General Maintenance Guide - Simplified Chinese
- What’s the best way to get everything I need to clean?
- It depends what you have and what you need. View our options.
- Can I download everything so I can access this information offline?
- Yes, download all the items in our downloads section to get started.