Who Should Attend
This workshop is intended for people who are:
- Advanced technicians who are familiar with the mechanics of the Perkins Brailler
- Seeking to repair any and all broken Perkins Braillers
- Running his or her own repair business
- Anticipating becoming Perkins Certified for Level 3 Major Repairs
After this workshop you will be able to:
- Perform the most complicated repairs, which constitutes about 20% of broken Perkins Braillers
- Confidently perform repairs for Perkins Braillers; not SMART Braillers
- Know how to stock a repair facility and run a simple repair business
- Be certified as a Level 3 Major Repair Technician
- Restore braillers that have been out of operation for years
- Reduce the costs you, your organization, or your school incurs with repairs
- Reach your individual repair goals
- Reduce the time your braillers are inoperable by eliminating having to send them out for repair
- Offer a new service in your local community
Those interested in taking this workshop must have a strong foundation of repair skills or have taken our Level 1 & 2 workshop. Certifications of repair skills are not a guarantee. If you are a beginner to repair, please consider our Level 1 General Maintenance & Level 2 Minor Repairs Workshop.BACK TO TOP
Summer 2019 Workshops SOLD OUT!
Email email@example.com to be placed on a summer 2020 waitlist.
$800, includes tuition, necessary course materials, daily breakfast, and daily lunch for our four day workshop. At registration, you will be asked whether you’d like to include housing.
Pricing varies if accommodations are included
We recommend individuals take the Level 1 General Maintenance & Level 2 Minor Repairs Workshop prior to this one.BACK TO TOP
This one week workshop builds upon the Basic Maintenance and Repair Workshop and develops competency in dismantling, troubleshooting, and repairing of Perkins Braillers. This workshop does require a prerequisite of our Basic Brailler Maintenance and Repair.
- Remove Right End Plate and all Assemblies down to the Left End Plate
- Practice Reassembly up to Right End Plate
- Dismantle Carriage and Stylus and Reassemble
- Dismantle Rear Support and Reassemble
- Remove and Reset Chain Assembly
- Reassemble entire Brailler to good working order
- Review troubleshooting Guide
- Overview of Service Manual Utilization
- Question and Answer session on how to proceed upon completion of training.
- Certificate Distribution
On campus, discounted, dorm-like accommodations can be purchased with each workshop at checkout. Level 3 Major Repairs accommodations include:
- 4 night stay, non-negotiable
- Total price of $200
- Check-in night before workshop at 5:00pm EST
- Check-out last day of workshop at 8:00am EST
Other local housing options include AirB&B, Holiday Inn Express & Suites Watertown, Crown Plaza Boston – Newton, Super 8 by Wyndham Watertown.
Perkins On-Campus Room Overview
While rooms are very basic, you can expect them to be clean and functional. All rooms are private, unless you chose to share one. However, bathrooms are shared amongst all guests, which can be 2-4 at any given point. Each room has access to a shared common space and kitchen. Additional amenities can be read below.
- Air conditioned
- Pillows, blankets, and towels provided
- Shared bathroom with the 2-4 guests on the floor
- 100% Non-Smoking Guest Rooms
- Wifi Access
- Free parking
- Laundry access
- Kitchen access in shared space – stove, microwave, refrigerator, and dish washer
- Shared common space with TV & small couch
- Not Provided: shampoo, conditioner, soap, hair dryer, and other basic amenities you'd expect in a standard hotel
- Free on-campus parking
- Public transportation, buses
- Uber & Lyft
- Breakfast and lunch will be provided during workshop days
- Grocery stores are within driving distance of campus and rooms come with access to a fully equipped kitchen, and therefore, cooking for yourself is an option
- One diner less than 0.1 miles from housing
- Several other dining options with 0.5 -1.0 mile away
Will housing be available during the on-campus workshop?
Yes, after you’ve chosen the workshop and date that is right for you, you are able to add housing and then complete checkout. Learn more about our housing amenities.
Can I take one workshop at a time?
Yes. You do not have to take the Level 3 Major Repair’s workshop at the same time you take Level 1 General Maintenance & Level 2 Minor Repair’s Workshop.
However, we highly recommend you take the Level 1 General Maintenance & Level 2 Minor Repair’s Workshop as a prerequisite for the Level 3 Major Repair’s Workshop. We have several people who take Level 1 General Maintenance & Level 2 Minor Repair’s Workshop in one year, and then take the Level 3 Major Repair’s Workshop the next year.
Can I do the workshops if I’m blind?
We have had several folks who are blind or visually impaired complete our training. With that said, there are aspects of the course that may be more difficult given the hands on nature of the course. Please contact Dan Roy at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the material accommodations we can make for you.
Can I do the workshops anywhere?
We're happy to discuss the possibility of bringing the workshop to your location. Email email@example.com to start the conversation.